“Spare the pen and punish the truth”
I initially never wanted to write about “FASA decides”, but with respect to the above quote, i deemed it necessary.
I am a gentleman by profession, who is rugged intellectually and abhors ethnocentrism, godfatherism and fantastically corrupt system composed of selfish individuals who through scripts got into different positions in Faculty of Arts Students Association.
These corrupt self styled saints in offices have established a system that ensures their errand boys are installed. Through that, they tend to control the administration through proxy.
FACULTY OF ARTS AND FASA
Faculty of Arts is a body composed of different departments who’s area of disciplines/specialties are Art inclined.
Faculty of Arts is directly under University of Nigeria and is headed by a Dean who is answerable to the vice chancellor. I want to point out that school is in charge of maintaining/rehabilitating the buildings, class rooms and environment that houses faculty of Arts.
Under faculty of Arts we have FASA. Just as SUG is to University of Nigeria, FASA is to faculty of Arts.
FASA (Faculty of Arts students Association) is a body composed of students under FASA and was set up to take care of the needs of the students and ensure they are well represented.
FASA as a body is mainly funded by students under faculty of Arts through payments of faculty dues. The funds realized per session runs into millions.
First year students pay N4,500 each as FASA dues. We have over 2,000 first year students (I stand to be corrected) from 10 departments that make up FASA. When 2,000 students pay N4,500 each, we have approximately 9 million naira. Second year, third year and fourth year also pay FASA dues but less than N4,500. So technically, I would say FASA accumulates over 15 million from students per section.
THE STATE OF FASA; BOTH PAST AND PRESENT
FASA as a body has never done anything for the students. In other words students have never benefited from FASA. In the past, FASA has built quadrangles, renovated buildings and lately built Achebe park
The above projects when x-rayed is secondary and not the primary duty of FASA. The fact remains that FASA don’t care and has never cared for the students.
The current system is so corrupt that the privileged fellows who are close to our representatives don’t pay FASA dues; they are issued the receipt free. Godfatherism is the order of the day. Our convenience is not working and nobody cares. Thank God for Achebe park but trust me, students won’t benefit from it.
FASA Award is another spine chilling scam that has always gone unchecked. Its only in FASA that a “merit award” is for sale; both the positions and certificates are reserved for the highest bidder.
Students have given up on FASA; 85% of students pay FASA dues for fear of being stopped from writing exams… When asked why? The answer remains they never get anything after payments are made.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE YOU VOTE
1. Anyone who has been in a system and couldn’t effect the desired change while in the system lacks the capacity and ability to change the system when given a bigger opportunity in the same system.
2. We need someone who will care more about the students than the environment as the first obligation of FASA is to the students and their responsibility is to the students too.
3. We need individuals who are intellectually sound and independent; someone who has ideas of his own and must not necessarily depend on people to make decisions.
4. We need individuals who are bold and fearless; someone who will stand tall and defend FASA in the league of other faculties
5. We need someone who can think outside the box, someone who can initiate ideas on other means through which FASA can be funded in order to cut down on how much students are paying as FASA dues.
6. We need someone who will sustain the relationship candidates establish prior to election after election
7. We need someone who listens to the students, someone who is open to new ideas.
8. We need someone who can’t be manipulated. Someone who’s yes yesterday is yes today and will remain yes tomorrow
9. We need someone who will question the authorities on behalf of FASA students.
10. We need someone who is accommodating and can ensure there is a meaningful integration of all the departments. Someone who will serve both his friends and enemies equally.
The biggest mistake anyone will make in this FASA decides is to vote;
1. Because someone is your friend.
2. Because someone is your enemy.
3. Because someone is from a certain department.
4. Because someone is from a certain state.
5. Because of the cabals pushing a certain candidate.
This piece is aimed at inoculating the unconscious fellows who out of ignorance will help enthrone less qualified candidates who only augments the travails of the students instead of alleviating it.
Help change the system today;
“Think right, vote the right candidate and ensure MERIT IS DEFENDED!
“Together we will change the system”
C. Daiv[Okoro David Emeka]
[C. Daiv is a revolutionary writer, a catalyst, dare devil critic and a focused JACKSONITE.]
TO BECOME A CONTRIBUTOR ON UNN WATCHDOGS CONNECT WITH C. DAIV ON WHATSAPP THROUGH +2347066017889